< Study in Germany guide

Can I get a German student visa without a blocked account?

Getting a German student visa without a blocked account.

January 4, 2024

If you are coming from abroad to study in Germany or to search for a job, chances are you might be required to open a blocked account. In this article, you will find all the latest options for exceptions to the blocked account.

What is a blocked account?

The Blocked Account (Sperrkonto) is a special type of bank account required by German law for many internationals to secure their German visa. In 2024, a student going for masters is required to open a blocked account with €11,208 per year. The money from this account can be used for daily expenses once you are studying in Germany. However, before you apply for the student visa, you need to have this amount deposited in the account.

Study In Germany Without Blocked Account

Studying in Germany without a blocked account is possible if you fulfil one of the requirements listed below:

  • Scholarship from an educational establishment (see scholarships for international students).
  • Confirmation of government funding or approved student loan in Germany.
  • Invitation from a friend or relative living in Germany (Verpflichtungserklärung). This person will be responsible to support you financially during your studies. The reason for the invitation must be clearly stated: “Studium” (studies). This document must be obtained in person at an Alien’s Registration Office in Germany.

A Declaration of Commitment, also known as a "Verpflichtungserklärung" or VE in German, is a document that can be used to demonstrate that you have secured the necessary funds to cover your living expenses, medical costs, and return costs while studying or working in Germany. This document is often required as part of the visa application process for foreign students and job seekers in Germany.

To obtain a Declaration of Commitment, you must have a relative, friend, or business that is a legal resident or registered legal entity in Germany and is willing to pledge to the federal authorities to cover all of your costs while you are in the country. The person or entity signing the Declaration of Commitment must provide a formal obligation letter stating their commitment to financially support you during your stay in Germany. This document must be obtained in person at an Alien’s Registration Office in Germany and the reason for the invitation must be clearly stated as "Studium" (studies) or "Arbeit" (work).

If you have a Declaration of Commitment and meet the other requirements, you may be able to study in Germany without opening a blocked bank account. However, if you don't meet these requirements, you'll need to open a blocked account in order to get a visa and study in Germany.

See also:

⚡️Try out the AI profile evaluator, LOR and SOP Writer powered by ChatGPT!

Want expert guidance on higher studies in Germany? Get in touch with us.